Archive for July, 2008

Cabinet Progress: Door Glue Up

Tuesday, July 1st, 2008

Tonight I finished up the top, added a couple feet to the base, tacked on the rear panel, and finally constructed the doors.

The raised panel bits that I had picked up a while ago that are used to create the stiles and rails worked out really well… The panel bit however caused me some grief. It simply was too large for my router table and even the router’s face plate. Against my better judgement I hand routed the panels, without the router’s face plate, but just taking off a little bit at a time. It took a while, but in the end seemed to work out well.

I screwed up royally too… I cut the stiles to the wrong length (somehow missing that, even when I checked them prior to routing) and went through the whole process of routing all four of them before I realized they were too short. I couldn’t figure out what I had done, until I realized I simply read the wrong measurement off my papers. Dummy.

One of the doors:

Now it’s finally looking like something: